- Cooperation among strangers has increased for the past 60 years. SciTech Daily.
- China’s CO2 emissions fall by record 8% in second quarter of 2022. CarbonBrief.
- By 2020, the number of violent crime arrests involving youth reached a new low, 78% below the 1994 peak, and half the number 10 years earlier. US Department of Justice (PDF link).
- The worldwide suicide rate has went down 40% since 1990. Our World in Data.
- Chinese researchers create the first successful, living mammals with a fully-reconfigured genome. ZME Science.
- California passes bill banning long-term solitary confinement in prisons and jails. KTVU.
- 11,000 federal inmates were sent home during the pandemic. Only 17 were arrested for new crimes. Reason.
- 3 ways our work-life balance and education have gotten better – in data. Euronews.
- Labor market added 315,000 jobs in August, a bright spot in the economy. The Washington Post.
For more good news, check out The Progress Network, and Future Crunch.